Tuesday 6 September 2011

Welcome to Shanghai


Welcome to Shanghai.

Heading out of immigration after picking up my bags, I'm approached by a young woman in an airport uniform asking where I was headed to.  She brings me over to the airport transport desk and arranges for a taxi ride into town.  The taxi seemed expensive - but I was in a new place, and just wanted to get to my hostel and get settled.

Now the thing about Shanghai taxis is the drivers don't use GPS - they rely on having years of knowledge to get you to where you want to go.  Which works reasonably well if you have a knowledgable taxi driver!  My taxi driver took two hours to find my hostel - which is right next to a metro station.  Turns out he wasn't very knowledgable.

Luckily it was a scenic ride.

ProTip:  Don't use the transport counter at the airport - just head out front to the taxi stand - or even better find the Metro system and catch the train or the Maglev into town.  If you must use the transport counter, make sure you negotiate a fixed price first.  My ride would have been ridiculously expensive if I was riding on the meter.

2 comments:

  1. Pro tip: Never take a taxi ride from someone who approaches you in an airport :) Same all over Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have thought it was safe to use the official airport transport desk. Same thing happened in Hanoi airport -> Airport desk quotes you 650,000VD for Shuttlebus, walk out door, ask driver, he quotes you 100,000VD. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete