Thursday 23 February 2012

Vietnam: Hue (Part 3 - Tu Doc Tomb)


As per the helpful guides instructions that I will find the Tu Doc tomb 2km away, I finally arrive there - 500 metres down the road.  The entrance fee is 55,000VD (10,000 for Vietnamese - lucky me!) but well worth it!  Walking in through the front gate you are greeted by a royal pond filled with lilies, and today the grounds are dotted with 50 or so art students drawing still life.

Get a job



Opposite the pond is a rather grand set of buildings where the emperor lived during the latter part of his reign before his death, which also includes a concert hall, and sadly only some ruins where once stood the house of Teh Emperor's Ladies.

They weren't courted for their masonry skills if you know what I mean...



If you come to Tu Doc tomb, I recommend first taking a right across the stream, past the building beside the lily pond.  This is the way I went, and it lead to a number of wonderful surprises, each bigger than the last.  Walking along the path in the gloomy drizzle I arrive at the bottom of some slippery steps.  Later I find that if I'd gone the other way I would have read the information sign explaining what this was, but this was better - I climbed up not knowing what I would find. 

All I know is It Belongs In A Museum!!


At the top of the stairs in a small complex, I find a small tomb.  It's quite beautiful in the gloomy rain, no sounds at all nearby.  

Not the kind of place that you want to hear sounds nearby.


God my legs are sexy.  Hmm, what was I saying?

Later I learn that this is the tomb of the Emperor's adopted son, who had a short reign after his death.

Further exploring the grounds, I come across an even grander entrance to a tomb that belongs to the first wife of the Emperor.  I'm finding the architecture and tranquility stunningly beautiful.

To-mb-many pictures of tombs.

Some say it's To-mb-uch to handle   Tomb-orrow I'll - ok I'll stop now.  Sorry.  I won't do it again.





I saved the grandest for last - walking up a small hill, I'm greeted by a larg Stele [That's big funeral enscriptiony stoney thing to simple folk like you] and two large obelisks.  

And one Asterix

Behind them is a pond lined with trees, and stairs leading up to the Emperor Tu Doc's tomb.  This one is the largest so far - but feels empty and lonely to me.  The truth is - Tu Doc's body isn't actually buried here.  Purportedly, when the Emperor died his body was secretly taken away and buried in a hidden location.  When the 200 hundred workers returned from burying the Emperor, they were beheaded so that no-one would find the location. 


Now that story is badass.


The best part about Tu Doc tomb, is that apart from the art students, I only saw at most 10 tourists.  Maybe it was the drizzle or the time of year, but it was brilliant being able to explore the tomb site undisturbed and alone.



Part 1: Lame
Part 2: Better
Part 3: Mildly educational
Part 4: Not Funny

No comments:

Post a Comment