Tuesday 28 February 2012

Vietnam: Train from Hue to Da Nang / Hoi An


It's become apparent to me that the majority of tourists take the bus from Hue to Hoi An instead of the train.  This is because once you arrive in Da Nang, you need to find other means of getting from the train station in Da Nang to Hoi An which is another 20 minute drive away.  According to the internet [which knows all and is never wrong] the scenery on the train route is much more spectacular than the road as it hugs the coastline as it crawls up the slopes and down the other side.  At some points the hillside is so steep that you can't even see the land below you and all you can see is vast expanse of the South China Sea.  Now don't get me wrong - it was extremely comfortable, and the view was spectacular - but I think I've been spoiled by having this kind of scenery in abundance back home in New Zealand.  Trade in those wonderful leafy palmy Vietnamese jungle trees in for your New Zealand evergreen of choice and you've got a similar picture.



And I don't care - I loved every single minute of the two hour up and down over the hills and absolutely recommend it to anybody traveling that way.

ProTip:  If heading from Hue to Da Nang, try and book a seat on the left hand side of the train, if heading north from Da Nang to Hue, book a seat on the right hand side for the best view.  Failing that - walk to one of the smoking areas in-between carriages and you can have an unobstructed view out the window.

On arrival in Da Nang, I'm greeted by the usual taxi hustlers trying to get your business.  The first chap that approaches me says he can take me in a minivan for US$17.  I bargain him down to 60,000VD (about US$2.80) for the ride into town - sharing the van with three other people from the train.  The van driver turns out to be a lovely chap who is eager to show us some sights on the way and promote his private tour business.  It's a shame he tried to short change me by 5,000VD.

No comments:

Post a Comment